Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Jeff Bezos is a skinny little dude with big ideas


I'm in the midst of the O'Reilly ETech Conference in San Diego, soaking in the latest tech developments and meeting interesting people.

I walked by a small, slightly built man in the hall today and thought to myself "Gee, that looks like Jeff Bezos, the CEO of Amazon." Then I saw his name badge, and of course that's who it was. Hangin' out in worn jeans and looking relaxed. [EDIT: I have to admit, I found myself waiting around for the door to open to where the coffee was being set up for a break . . . and had a short conversation with Jeff, mostly related to Amazon Web Services, about which I was highly curious. He politely asked about Atomic Learning as well :-) . . . and listened to my (I hope brief) description of what we do and are about. Surreal.]

I mention this by way transition to the fact that I saw Amazon CTO Werner Vogel speak during the keynotes this morning, giving details of Amazon's Web Services, including S3 (simple storage solution) and EC2 (elastic computing cloud). Imagine being able to start a new web-based business without having to buy/manage hardware for servers or storage. The concept is very exciting and gaining maturity rapidly. I got the distinct feeling Amazon is out way ahead on a trend (cloud computing) that is going to change everything.

http://aws.amazon.com

No comments: